Do you know what I love about food documentaries? They’re enlightening, full of facts, and super motivating! They usually go deep inside the matter at hand to expose things I wasn’t aware of.
A common question I get asked is if I have any recommendations on food documentaries to watch. Why yes, yes I do! You’ll never look at food the same way again. Trust me!
Here’s a list, in no particular order, of 8 food documentaries that I’ve watched and would recommend:
1. Food Inc. – An oldie but goodie! This film shows where our food comes from, sheds light on factory farming, and points out the controversial connections between the big food corporations and the government, and the subsidies that promote unhealthy food to take over our supermarket and diets.
2. Supersize Me – Under the supervision of doctors and a nutritionist, Morgan Spurlock eats only McDonald’s for 30 days and then examines the detrimental health results.
3. Food Matters – Focuses on the connection of ultra-processed food and our declining health as well as why the health industry doesn’t want us to change our eating habits.
4. Forks Over Knives – Explores the connection between our modern disease (cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and more) to our Western Diet. Find out the amazing benefits of a plant based diet.
5. Farmageddon – Have you ever wondered why healthy, local food is so hard to find? This documentary details what small, family farms are up against – big government and their regulations. These farmers only want to provide healthy food to their communities but instead are treated like criminals.
6. Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead – Joe Cross was overweight and on a multitude of daily pills to manage chronic illness. Follow him on his journey across the US as he completes a 60 day juice fast. Watch his transformation – how he not only changes himself but inspires so many around him to do the same.
7. The Gerson Miracle – See how Dr. Max Gerson found a therapy proven to cure cancer and most other chronic disease over 75 years ago. Find out how the body can heal itself and naturally boost the immune system.
8. Hungry for Change – Find out the shocking secrets the diet, weight loss and food industries don’t want you to know. “The problem is that we’re not eating food anymore. We’re eating food-like products.”
I’m also looking forward to Fed Up being released on DVD since it wasn’t shown in my area. It focuses on our massive sugar consumption and it’s effects on the body.
**Update, we did in fact watch Fed Up when it was released and I think it’s a great addition to this list! You should most definitely add it to your list 🙂