Coffee creamer for us has been one of those slow transitions to get from where we were at to where we are now. I can clearly see the journey….a few years ago I was still drinking the standard chemical concoction coffee creamers (a.k.a. Coffee-Mate or International Delight). I used to be one of those ‘a little coffee with your cream’ types.
Then I started to become more aware of reading labels and switched to Coffee-Mate Natural Bliss (only 4 ingredients for the vanilla and I could pronounce all of them: milk, cream, sugar, and natural vanilla flavor).
After that I started buying organic half & half. In the beginning I also flavored with a natural coffee syrup but quit using it after a while when I became more aware of sugar.
Finally, we made it to this point….homemade almond milk creamer. I tell you this because if I would have tried to go from the chemically derived, sugar laden creamers to the homemade almond milk creamer I probably wouldn’t have stuck with it. The change would have been too drastic for me. We really like this recipe though and it works for us. Hope it works for you too!
- 1 Cup Almonds, soaked 4-6 hours or overnight in filtered water then drained & rinsed
- 3 Cups Filtered Water
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- Place soaked and rinsed almonds in to Vitamix or high speed blender.
- Add 3 cups of filtered water.
- Blend for 1 minute on high (I have to blend mine on 10 vs high so that the pulp isn't too fine).
- Line bowl with nut milk bag and strain almond milk in to bowl.
- Set almond pulp aside and pour almond milk back in to Vitamix or high speed blender.
- Add coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt to almond milk and blend for 1-2 minutes.
- Use in your favorite coffee and store in mason jars in fridge for approximately 5 days.
- The creamer will be foamy when you first finish blending but will settle in the fridge. You can use it to top your coffee when freshly made. Also, it is common for separation to occur. Shake well before each use.